Through exposure to music with a range of technical requirements, players in this stage will develop rhythmic and tonal skills, as well as learn how to interpret basic dynamic and style markings.
Repertoire for the Stage 1 String Orchestras include arrangements of music from the classical canon by Beethoven and Telemann as well as works, especially for young musicians by respected pedagogical composers such as Richard Meyer and Stephen Chin.
- Soon Hee Newbold – The Silver Forest
- Stephen Chin – Haunted Carousel
- Stephen Chin – Battle at The Great Wall
- Richard Meyer – Kabuki Dance
- Keith Sharpe – Kings Fiddler