SYO is committed to ensuring all talented musicians regardless of financial circumstances have the same opportunity to be part of SYO. With the very generous support of many private donors, companies and foundations we provide a number of full or partial Opportunity Scholarships each year.
These scholarships are designed to assist young musicians whose family or they themselves are experiencing financial hardship.
Important Application Information
1. Applications can be made by either:
- A parent/guardian of a dependent student in Years K-12 and Tertiary Study; or
- An independent student aged 18 years or over.
2. Applicants are required to tick the request for financial assistance box on their online Audition Application. An Opportunity Scholarships Application form will be emailed.
3. Completed application forms must be submitted by Sunday, 3 December 2023.
4. Applications are strictly confidential and will be viewed only by the Opportunity Scholarship Assessment Panel comprised of SYO Management.
5. All applications must be made via the online form, completed in full, with support material attached. Incomplete forms or applications without supporting documents will not be considered.
6. Each application will be assessed on the information contained in the application form. For on-going SYO students, their assessment may also include consultation with conductors regarding the student’s progress, attendance and participation at SYO.
7. Successful Opportunity Scholarship applicants will be notified with their SYO 2024 offer.
Opportunity Scholarship Acceptance Guidelines
For the successful applicants SYO requires the student (and their guardian if under 18 years of age) to acknowledge the support given to them by meeting the conditions listed below:
- Commit to participating in SYO Programs for the length of the scholarship (12 months).
- Adhere to the SYO Code of Conduct at all times.
- Be available to represent SYO to perform at events or special concerts for our supporters as reasonably requested.
- Members (and their guardians if applicable) may be asked to volunteer their time to assist the SYO in administration activities, concerts, camp or tour support as reasonably requested.
If a student breaches the SYO Code of Conduct or has an unacceptable number of absences resulting in their SYO position being cancelled, the student is liable to return the FULL value of the scholarship, regardless of the period of participation.
The decision of the Opportunity Scholarship Assessment Panel is final.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Daniel Placido, Executive Officer on [email protected].