DATE Monday 5 – Friday 9 July 2021
TIME 10:00am – 2:00pm
LOCATION Santa Sabina College, Strathfield OR SYOnline Digital Platform
Presented by three of the most experienced music educators and regular HSC markers in NSW, the SYO HSC Winter School is specially designed to assist students in Years 10, 11 & 12 to prepare for HSC music practical and written examinations in a supportive and engaging environment amongst a collaborative team of likeminded students.
RECOMMENDED FOR: All Year 11 & 12 HSC Music 2/Extension students as well as Year 10 students preparing for HSC Music 2/Extension.
Participants will receive the following under the guidance of our team of expert teachers:
- Advice on written examinations including workshops on past papers, aural transcription and essay writing
- Practical tips on HSC Music 2/Extension performance examinations, with the opportunity for students to choose to perform for peers unaccompanied or with leading accompanist Josephine Allan (Sydney Philharmonia Choirs, Sydney Symphony Orchestra)
- Key insights on HSC Music 2/Extension composition assessments, with the opportunity for students to choose to have a one-on-one consultation with an experienced HSC senior marker
- Expert guidance on maintaining healthy studying, practice and social habits to stay focused and in control of the demands of the HSC and HSC Music
- Online and printed resources available to build on skills and information gained at HSC Winter School to continue to excel in classwork, written and practical examinations
- The opportunity to receive an original customised rehearsal track created by leading accompanist Josephine Allan (Sydney Philharmonia Choirs, Sydney Symphony Orchestra)
WINTER SCHOOL TEACHERS
- James Pensini – Head of Orchestral Training at SYO & Head of Music Performance P-12 at Santa Sabina College
- John Ockwell – Senior Music Teacher and Director of Orchestra at Fort Street High School, HSC Marker & SYO Conductor
- Jeffrey Willey – Head Teacher, Music at the Conservatorium High School & HSC Senior Marker
- Josephine Allan – Sydney Philharmonia Choirs (Principal Accompanist), Sydney Symphony Orchestra (Principal Keyboard, 1996-2012), regular appearances with the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.
PROGRAM COST $350 + 1.49% booking fee
Performance practice (with SYO accompanist) + $50
30-minute rehearsal with Josephine Allan (HSC Winter School accompanist) and opportunity to perform with accompanist and receive live feedback from experienced HSC performance markers.
Composition consultation + $50
30-minute consultation with experienced HSC senior composition marker to receive live feedback and advice on composition.
Piano Accompaniment track recording + $50
Participants can choose to submit a score for one HSC performance work to have a custom-made piano accompaniment track produced for rehearsal purposes only.
Teacher Reference Discount – $35
Classroom teachers can apply to receive a unique code for their students to access a discounted fee for the SYO HSC Winter School. If you are a music teacher and would like to find out more about SYO HSC Winter School Teacher Support, please click here.
Sibling Discount – $75
Participants can receive a discount if they have a sibling already enrolled in the HSC Winter School.
Don’t forget to assign your $100 Creative Kids voucher to your enrolment!